Last week we discover and explained the basics on the Brush Panel, we also worked on the first Brush Preset – The Calligraphic Brush. Today, we will work on the Scatter Brush.
Defining a Scatter Brush
- Create some artwork for the Scatter Brush. Gradients and Effects cannot be used when creating a Scatter Brush.
- Select all the created artwork and drag it into the Brush Panel. When the New Art Brush dialog opens, select New Scatter Brush from the options to bring up the Scatter Brush Options.
- Change the name of the brush if you wish.
- Size: Use the slider to define a fixed or random size of the art in relation to the original. If you want to define a random size, select Random from the drop-down menu next to the Size sliders. You will need a pen tablet to utilize the other options from the drop-down menu.
- Spacing: Use the slider to define a fixed or random amount of spacing between instances of the artwork. If you want to define a random size, select Random from the drop-down menu next to the Spacing sliders.
- Scatter: Use the slider to define how far the artwork will scatter from the path the brush is applied to. Use the same option for Random settings and pen tablet setting as the Size and Spacing.
- Rotating: Use the sliders to define how much the art will rotate as the brush is applied to a path. Use the same option for Random settings and pen tablet settings as the Size, Spacing and Scatter.
- Rotation Relative To: Change this option so the art is relative to the page or relative to the path. Use the same option for Random settings and pen tablet settings as before.
- Colorization: Set the colorization to None, Tints, Tints and Shades, and Hue Shift, depending on how you want color added to the original stroke art color.
- Click OK to save your new Scatter Brush.
Edit Scatter Brush
To edit a preexisting Scatter Brush, double-click on the particular brush in the Brush Panel to bring up the Scatter Brush dialog.
How are you Brush skills developing so far? Have you learned something new?
FREE Slide Decks, FREE Worksheets, and more!
By joining our mailing list, you'll be included in getting exclusive downloadable worksheets, notifications of new articles, and content that only subscribers will get access to.