If you had been reading this blog for quite a bit, you already know my love for Olympic Games, specially my love for designs related to Olympic Games. This time is not an exception to the rule, the Sochi Olympic Winter Games give me another opportunity to enjoy Olympic Designs.
Every Olympic Game begins with a logo, and Sochi really have a memorable one.
- unveiled in December 2009
- this logo consists of typefaces and have no drawings
- features futuristic lettering with letters and numbers that partially mirror each other
- the first olympic logo to bundle a web address right in the logo
- the sochi logo came from a design team at the Interbrand Agency
This is the first time in Olympic history, a public vote was held to decide the mascots for the 2014 Winter Olympics
- the mascots were officially unveiled on February 26, 2011
- The winners of the public vote were a polar bear, a European hare, and an Amur leopard
- A Ray of Light and a Snowflake were selected to be the mascots of the Paralympic Games
Sochi Olympic Tickets, were designed to reflect diversity of Russia
- the ticket design use the Games’ symbols and its “patchwork quilt” imagery
- all tickets will be color-coded according to one of the five venue color concepts
- on the souvenir tickets for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Winter Games, a stylized image of the Fisht Olympic Stadium replaces the pictogram (Sochi 2014)
At last we will see the great design for the Winter Olympic Medals, to be honest, I really love this design
- 1,300 medals had been made for the 2014 Winter Games. More than past years because of 12 new events debuting in Sochi
- a combination of glass and metal had been used to reflect the landscape of Sochi, with its snowy peaks and sandy beaches
- their “patchwork quilt” design aims to capture the various cultures and ethnicities of the Russian Federation
- the Olympic gold medals are not made of pure gold, they contain 525 grams of silver with a 960 hallmark and 6 grams of gold with a 999 hallmark, which is a purity standard for precious metals
- This is so cool – some of the medals will have pieces of the Chelyabinsk meteorite embedded in them, according to the BBC. This meteor fell from the sky last year and crashed into a lake
Personally, my favorites are the medals. What about you, what designs you had been eyen during this Sochi Winter Olympic Games?
FREE Slide Decks, FREE Worksheets, and more!
By joining our mailing list, you'll be included in getting exclusive downloadable worksheets, notifications of new articles, and content that only subscribers will get access to.