Thanksgiving marketing is as much about Christmas and other end-of-year holidays as it is about Thanksgiving, so you’ll literally have to think ahead to stuff your competitors. This season presents a wonderful window of opportunity to be different, creative and stand out from the sea of designers out there. Your goal is to craft creative marketing ideas that will help you stand out, get noticed and reel in a hefty return on investment this Turkey Day.
How to be different when designing for a Holiday that had been around for ever?
- Icons – Forget about the turkey, pie, pilgrims, etc.
- Colors – Try the deep reds, oranges, yellows and browns of the leaves.
- History – Find little details that many people don’t know, use the facts to shape your design. Consult the Guinness Book of World Records to identify records you would have a reasonable chance of breaking, and try to keep them relevant to your client.
- Tone – Have fun, play with your audience and make it a fun holiday.
- Head Start – Christmas is just one month out, so disguise your Thanksgiving Designs as Christmas Designs to get a head start on the holiday shopping, which officially begins the day after Thanksgiving. If you want to turn a profit from your Thanksgiving and Christmas marketing, you have to start early and maintain momentum through the holiday season.
- Emotions – Appeal to the emotions of the season, without using the obvious cliche expressions.
- Learn – Stay ahead of the competition by studying the trends, new color palettes, materials and textures.
Thanksgiving is a day of values, which is why many of these tips and tricks play on those values to help persuade customers to take the next step in the purchasing process. Understand your target audience, market directly to them, and incorporate relevant and eye-popping design concepts to create a well-rounded piece that yields a great return on investment.